The St. Thomas-Elgin Chapter of the ACO will hold its founding meeting on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 7:00 p.m. at the Canada Southern Station (former New York Central Station) located at 750 Talbot St., St. Thomas. The meeting will take place in Anderson Hall, the former station dining room. The station is located behind the Giant Tiger store. All individuals interested in architectural preservation in St. Thomas and Elgin County are welcome to attend. Guest speaker at the meeting will be Cathy Nasmith, president of the ACO and Toronto architect.
The ACO was founded in 1933 “to preserve buildings and structures of architectural merit and places of natural beauty and interest”. Since the 1930s, through advocacy and direct action, the ACO has saved hundreds of buildings across Ontario and raised awareness of preserving community heritage. The ACO operates through a network of branches, linked by an office in Toronto. There are 23 branches across the province and a membership of over 1,200. Last year the ACO and its branches organized or participated in 400 events with a total attendance of over 53,000 people. In addition, board members and volunteers served as representatives on local workshops and planning meetings, researched local heritage issues, and acted as advocates before various levels of government.
Each ACO branch has its own board and its own accounts to manage local affairs. Branches operate with relative independence, focusing on local issues, programming and recruitment. Typically, branches advocate for preservation of local architectural heritage and an increased knowledge of the value of such preservation, its contribution to increased tourism, pride and self-esteem.
For more information on the founding meeting, please contact Laurence Grant at 519-633-2535 /firstname.lastname@example.org